Monday, March 26, 2012

Multi-Server setup: RS, Sharepoint, new SP2 Webparts

I was reading the SP2 readme and I see this in section 4.1.1:
"To use the Reporting Services SharePoint Web parts, Report Server and
Report Manager must both be installed."
My company's RS server is on it's own box (A). The RS Configuration db
is on it's own box (B). Our intranet (Sharepoint) site is on it's own
box (C). 3 servers total. I want to try out the 2 new web parts. Can I
just copy the the RSWebParts.cab from server A to our Sharepoint server
C and install it or do I actually have to install a full blown
installation of RS plus RS SP2 on that Sharepoint server C? If so, why?
Because I was planning to point the web parts to the reports that exist
on the separate RS server A, or is that not permitted?
Am I going to have to redeploy my reports to C, manage a second
configuration database / report server? I hope not.
Thank you!No, you do not need to install RS on Box C. The parts can be pointed to any
existing RS. The point of the documentation was to let people know they
needed a working RS for the parts to work, not that they needed to all exist
on the same box.
I hope that helps.
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Dave" <macleary2000@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1134065827.784617.228020@.g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I was reading the SP2 readme and I see this in section 4.1.1:
> "To use the Reporting Services SharePoint Web parts, Report Server and
> Report Manager must both be installed."
> My company's RS server is on it's own box (A). The RS Configuration db
> is on it's own box (B). Our intranet (Sharepoint) site is on it's own
> box (C). 3 servers total. I want to try out the 2 new web parts. Can I
> just copy the the RSWebParts.cab from server A to our Sharepoint server
> C and install it or do I actually have to install a full blown
> installation of RS plus RS SP2 on that Sharepoint server C? If so, why?
> Because I was planning to point the web parts to the reports that exist
> on the separate RS server A, or is that not permitted?
> Am I going to have to redeploy my reports to C, manage a second
> configuration database / report server? I hope not.
> Thank you!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment